I finally had my surgery!!!

Not the one we wanted though.
Let's take a step back in time...... Do ya'll remember me talking about my ulcers?
Allow me to refresh your memory...
There was the 4 am "Ulcer pain wake up call".
There was the "Had to leave dinner at a friend's due to ulcer pain".
There was the 2 weeks that I spent "Drinking cabbage juice to cure ulcers."
And then for good measure "An update on my ulcers" post.
There was the time I fainted due to my "Ulcer pain" and the only one home was Caden, who was 4. There was the time that I was taken out of a Kohls by an ambulance because of my "Ulcer pain". And also a time I laid on my inlaws couch and cried due to my "ulcer pain". I could continue... But I think you get the point that my "Ulcers" have made my life hell for the last 2 years. I'd had an endoscopy done, no ulcers found. And I'd had a barium swallow done, no ulcers found.
Anywho... on Saturday the 2nd of July I started getting "ulcer" pain. Which kept me up all night, and which I still had when I woke up. So I decided to go to the Emergency room. But not the same one I had been to the last 2 years. I wanted a new opinion!!
So I went to the ER and (When I finally get seen) the Nurse asks me if I'd ever had my gall bladder looked at. Nooooooooooooooooo. So during my next 4 hours of waiting in the ER to be seen I googled my gall bladder. And BINGO!! What do you think I read?

  • Pain or tenderness under the rib cage on the right side
  • Pain between shoulder blades
  • Stools light or chalky colored
  • Indigestion after eating, especially fatty or greasy foods
  • Nausea
  • Dizziness
  • Bloating
  • Gas
  • Burping or belching
  • Feeling of fullness or food not digesting
Well! All of that sure sounds familiar!!! So after I wait a total of 6 hours I finally get an ultrasound, and they find stones. I was so relieved to know what was going on! And that there was a cure. Removing it!
However the Dr refused to do the surgery. He gave me some pain pills and said call my own Dr...But that I needed the surgery done immediately. 
I was in shock! So I decided the next day, if I was still in pain I would go to a new ER.
Well Monday came around (Yes July 4th) and I tried a new hospital. Within 2 hours I was in a bed, seen by a doctor, had an ultrasound done, and had been told they were scheduling the surgery for Wednesday and I would stay in the hospital until then. I literally cried in relief. 


Me waiting for Ultrasound.

My poor arm after my second IV

My HUGE hospital room!!
I had my own room and bathroom. 

I had a pretty great view of the city too.

One of my "Feel better" cards and flowers.

 I had what was called a Cholycystectomy.

So now I have 4 wounds in my tummy that are bruising up quite nicely.



That last one is right under my bra line.... SEXY!! lol
So now I am at home recuperating. Since I do need to be more careful with my diet (IE eating more so that bile doesn't build up) I have joined http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ and I am quite impressed with it! It even has a great app for my droid, with a bar code scanner for foods. It really has helped a lot!! I have already lost ten pounds.


Here are actual photos that my surgeon took of my gallbladder.
(Pssst... It's that thing that looks like a schmeckle!)


And here is my tummy without a gallbladder!


Much more happened that week... But I will write more later. Stay tuned!

Share this:

, , ,

CONVERSATION

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I imagine you are going to be feeling tons better. I've known a lot of people to have their gall bladder removed and they say it was the best thing they'd ever had done.

Glad you're home recovering :)

Nikki said...

Honey Cheeks, I'm so happy you FINALLY got the help you needed and this entire ordeal is behind you!

Go you for losing 10lbs! So excited and proud of your sucess!

Love ya, MWUAH

SB said...

I have had those pains too but it ended up being my appendix. ;-(
So glad you are feeling better and you don't have to deal with it anymore!!

Dazee Dreamer said...

Thanks so much for posting your gallbladder and stomach pictures while I was chomping down on a no bake cookie. And here I thought we were friends.

Momma Fargo said...

Wow. Those hospital photos of the insides are fascinating. I have never seen those before.

So glad they figured out what was wrong and you are recovering.

Hugs and love.

Jackie said...

Good for you!

Thanks for posting the photos. It was certainly neat to see 'em. :)

Abbie said...

That is crap that you had to go to three different hospitals. Very good that you were proactive an decided to keep pushing until you had the right answers.

Thank you for sharing your photos. They were very informative. I didn't now about the symptoms.

I hopped over from Bad Girl bloggers

Jackie said...

I ran across someone that had a similar issue. I told her all about your blog! I'm so glad I stumbled upon it! :)




My PCOS Treatment

Kimberly Walker said...

Wow... hope you feel better soon. Congrats on the weight loss!
All the best,
Kim
A Spicy Boy, A Cat, and My Fat Ass

Kimberly Walker said...

Well it's about time they finally figured out what was wrong with you... I know that feeling. Good luck with the recovery... I know usually with that you recover fairly quick compared to other surgeries.
Thinking of you.
All the best,
Kim
A Spicy Boy, A Cat, and My Fat Ass